Loading...

Nominate Faculty to Participate in Math and ELA College and Career Readiness Standards Review Project

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board  is seeking faculty nominations to revise College and Career Readiness Standards in English/Language Arts and Mathematics. If you teach in these areas, please review the following information and consider serving in this effort. Or, if you have a colleague whom you feel would serve well in this capacity, you may (with the colleague’s permission) nominate this person to serve.

This message sent on behalf of R. Jerel Booker, Assistant Commissioner, College Readiness and Success, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

March 8, 2017

We are requesting your assistance in identifying appropriate faculty who might serve on one of two vertical teams to assist in the review and revision of the Texas College and Career Readiness Standards (CCRS), as outlined in Texas Education Code, Section 28.008 and the Tri-Agency Report to the Governor. Prime Recommendation #2 from the Tri-Agency Report focuses on strengthening PK-12 academic instruction for the foundation skills needed for college and career readiness. A review of the CCRS building on those skills, with an emphasis on the interconnection between college and career and the subsequent alignment with the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills, ensures a prepared workforce and lifelong learners. We are seeking nominations for the first phase of the revision project, which addresses the English/Language Arts and Mathematics disciplines. The second phase, beginning in 2018, will address the Science, Social Studies, and Cross-Disciplinary standards.

Texas Education Code, Section 28.008 and Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) rules call for the use of statewide, discipline-based vertical teams to (1) periodically review and revise the college readiness standards and expectations; and (2) recommend revised standards for approval by the commissioner of education and the THECB. The Texas Education Agency (TEA) is responsible for recruiting public educators that will make up 40 percent of the vertical teams and the THECB is responsible for recruiting the remaining 60 percent. Each vertical team will have a total of 13 members representing the state’s geographic, institutional, and population diversity.

Leadership from Texas public colleges and universities that offer academic entry-level courses in English/Language Arts, Mathematics, and content-related workforce education/career and technical courses are encouraged to nominate appropriate faculty* who teach courses in these areas to serve on one of the two statewide, discipline-based vertical teams.

We anticipate that the commitment of time will span about six months. Vertical teams will be expected to review the current standards, meet in Austin to develop revisions, and respond to public comment on draft revisions once posted in the Texas Register. The commitment will conclude upon final adoption of any revisions by the Board and the commissioner of education.

Respective in-person meetings will take place in Austin as follows:

  • English/Language Arts: June 7-9, 2017
  • Mathematics: June 14-16, 2017

The THECB will provide a stipend to off-set travel related expenses incurred by the institution of higher education and a small honorarium to selected vertical team members. We hope that the significance of the project and the opportunity to participate in such an important P-16 initiative will prompt you to nominate the best-qualified and most talented people available for membership.

Please use the survey at the following address to provide information about your nominee: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2017CCRS. We also ask that a shortened Curriculum Vitae of no more than 2 pages be uploaded as part of the nomination (one form per discipline nominee). Please submit your nominations by March 31, 2017.

For technical support during the nomination process, please contact Marimar Miguel, Division of College Readiness and Success, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, by telephone at 512-427-6456 or email Marimar.Miguel@thecb.state.tx.us.

*Faculty is defined as a person who is employed by an institution of higher education on a full- or part-time basis as a member of the faculty or staff and whose duties include teaching, research, administration (including professional librarians), or the performance of professional services. The term does not include a person employed in a position which is in the institution’s classified personnel system, or a person employed in a similar type of position if the institution does not have a classified personnel system.

Attachment: Vertical Team Memo